International Forum on Sport, Peace and Development - Information for the media
The second edition of the International Forum on Sport, Peace and Development will take place at the United Nations (UN) headquarters in Geneva from 10 to 11 May 2011.
Jointly organised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the Office of the Special Advisor to the UN Secretary General on Sport for Development and Peace, the event will review policies and practices, strengthen cooperation, assess the successes and challenges of using sport as a tool for human development and peace promotion, and pave the way for future action in this field.
The themes will address issues such as how is sport used as a catalyst for achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
* Is sport delivering on legacy?
* Developing a culture of peace: sporting diplomacy
* Conflict prevention and resolution: giving peace a sporting chance
* Next steps
As reflected by the themes, strong focus will be placed on how sport is contributing to the MDGs - goals that have been identified by the UN as some of the world’s most pressing issues and require the support of everyone.
IOC President Jacques Rogge and Wilfried Lemke, the United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Sport for Development and Peace, will chair the Forum, which will include participants from the Olympic family, governments, the UN system, NGOs and the academic world.
· To apply for your media accreditation, please click here
To complete your accreditation request and access the Palais, you absolutely must provide the following documents by e-mail or post to the United Nations:
1. a letter from your editor (on letter-headed paper) indicating your full name and the title and dates of the event concerned: International Forum on Sport, Peace and Development, 10 and 11 May.
2. a copy of your ID card or passport.
3. a copy of your press card (for the countries which have them).
Please send the above mentioned documents to François Richer by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
United Nations Office on Sport for Development and Peace
Villa La Pelouse, Palais des Nations
1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland
· The sessions are open to the media and you will have free Wi-Fi access in the session room.
· If you need help to find accommodation, please send an email to IOC-UNForum@olympic.org
· Learn more about the programme outline
· Download useful information on the event
· Learn more about the IOC’s activities in this field
· Learn more about the UN Office on Sport for Development and Peace and the activities of other UN entities in this field
· Learn more about the Millennium Development Goals
For more information, please contact the IOC Communications Department:
Tel: +41 21 621 6000 e-mail: email@example.com, or visit our web site at www.olympic.org